Allergic Reaction Jumping Spider

Jumping spiders are not an aggressive species and are more likely to retreat if they feel they are in danger than to attack. The bite from a jumping spider is not of significant concern to humans. For most people, getting bit by a jumping spider is like getting stung by a bee. They may experience pain at the site of the bite, along with redness, swelling, or itching.

However, some people do have more serious reactions and may be allergic to the spider's venom. These bite victims can experience nausea, vomiting, fever, chills, headache, joint or muscle pain, or even open wounds. These symptoms can last for up to four days and should be addressed by a medical professional. If possible, it helps to bring the spider along so it can be properly identified and help the physician determine the best course of treatment.

In most cases, people who experience a bite inadvertently happen upon a spider and put it in a position where it feels threatened without even realizing they are doing so. This may include pinning it down while reaching into a closet or cluttered area, or maybe crushing it while putting on a shoe where the spider is hiding.

The best way to reduce one's chances of getting bit by a spider is to eliminate things around the home that may be attracting spiders in the first place. This certainly includes eliminating their food source, which is usually pests and other spiders. Remove pests, both dead and alive, and get rid of spider webs and egg sacs. Reduce clutter to eliminate places where spiders may live.

Seal crevices around doors and windows where spiders may enter. Remove piles of outdoor debris and trim back tall vegetation near the structure. Move items away from the house that will attract the spiders' prey, such as trash cans and outdoor lighting.